The side braid is a versatile and popular hairstyle that can be worn for various occasions, from casual outings to more formal events. It's a great way to keep your hair neat and stylish while adding a touch of bohemian or romantic flair. Here's a simple guide on how to create a basic side braid:
Steps for Creating a Side Braid:
1. Start with clean, dry hair:
- Wash and condition your hair to ensure it's clean and manageable.
2. Brush your hair:
- Use a brush or comb to remove any tangles and knots from your hair.
3. Part your hair to the side:
- Create a side part that suits your preference. You can part your hair on the left or right side, depending on your style.
4. Gather hair to one side:
- Bring all your hair to one side of your head. You can choose whether you want the braid to fall over your left or right shoulder.
5. Divide into three sections:
- Divide the gathered hair into three equal sections – left, middle, and right.
6. Start braiding:
- Cross the right section over the middle section.
- Then, cross the left section over the middle section.
- Repeat these steps, crossing left and right sections over the middle, until you reach the end of your hair.
7. Secure the end:
- Use a small hair tie or an elastic band to secure the end of the braid.
8. Optional: Loosen the braid:
- Gently pull on the sides of the braid to create a looser, more relaxed look. This step adds a bohemian touch to the hairstyle.
9. Optional: Tuck in loose strands:
- If you have any loose strands or layers, you can use bobby pins to secure them in place for a neater appearance.
10. Finish with hairspray (optional):
- If you want to ensure your side braid stays in place, you can use a light hold hairspray to set the style.
Variations of the Side Braid:
Fishtail Side Braid:
- Instead of a traditional three-strand braid, use the fishtail braiding technique for a more intricate look.
Dutch or French Side Braid:
- Begin braiding close to the scalp by incorporating additional hair into each section as you braid. This creates a raised braid that stands out from the head.
Messy Side Braid:
- Intentionally pull out small sections of the braid to create a messy, textured appearance.
Crown Braid to the Side:
- Start the braid at one ear and continue it around the back of the head, creating a crown-like effect.