Winter can be tough on curly hair, as the cold, dry air and indoor heating can cause our curls to become dry and brittle. Here are some helpful tips to keep your curls healthy and happy during the winter months:
1. Give your curls a deep conditioning treatment once a week. This will help to nourish and hydrate your curls and lock in moisture.
2. Invest in a humidifier. A humidifier will help to add moisture back into the air, which in turn will help to keep your curls hydrated.
3. Avoid using hot water when washing and conditioning your hair. Stick to lukewarm or cold water instead.
4. Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner that doesn’t strip your hair of its natural oils.
5. Use a leave-in conditioner on your curls after every wash. This will help to lock in moisture and ensure your curls stay hydrated all day long.
6. Use a silk or satin pillowcase. This will help to reduce friction while you sleep, which can cause damage to your curls. Protect your curls from the cold.
7. Use a Shower Filter Unlike municipal water well water is untreated and contains iron bacteria, hydrogen sulfide, coliform bacteria and manganese. Shower filters can be a great solution to many of the issues well water and municipal tap water causes to your hair and skin when taking showers.